Galveston Historical Foundation opens the doors to Galveston's incredible architectural history through public tours of privately-owned homes during its annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour, presented by TGRE. Tours will be held on May 7, 8, 14, and 15 from 10am to 6pm.
“We are very pleased to offer a diverse and impressive group of houses this year for our annual tour,” explains Dwayne Jones, Galveston Historical Foundation's Executive Director.
“The owners committed countless hours to these projects that restore, rehabilitate, and preserve these beautiful island residences. This is a year not to miss a single house and see their dedicated work and vision.”
Tickets are $40 and available online at www.galvestonhistory.org/homestour. For more information on the Historic Homes Tour or any of the associated special events, please contact Will Wright, Chief Creative Officer at 409.765.3424, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.galvestonhistory.org.
2022 HOMES ON TOUR
523 10th Street - 1874 Robert and Ellen Hughes House (2022 Cover House)
This elevated Italianate townhouse is a side-hall, double-gallery form with expressive brackets, window and door hoods, and tall windows. Hughes came to Galveston in 1847 and at one time owned the largest fire and marine insurance company in Texas.
After over two years of rehabilitation and restoration of the historic house and construction of a new guest and pool house, the owners of this residence produced a spectacular project sensitively respecting the original architecture while adapting for contemporary living.
1314 24th Street - 1894 Adolph and Augusta Helmann Cottage
Located in the Silk Stocking Historic District, Adolph and Augusta Helmann built this high-raised L-plan Victorian cottage in 1894. Features of the cottage include a projecting bay topped with a gabled roof decorated with patterned shingles and an inset porch with fleur-de-lis panels placed between balusters.
Helmann was born in New Orleans and worked as an independent barber. He operated his barbershop on Market Street before he took over the barbershop at the Tremont Hotel.
1318 24th Street - 1896 Oscar and Mary Walker House
Oscar and Mary Walker built this Southern townhouse in 1896. Walker worked as a clerk and salesman for several Galveston dry-goods firms including Fellman’s and Eiband’s. He and his family resided at the house until 1904 when they moved to 1311 25th Street.
The house is located in the Silk Stocking Historic District and features double galleries and a side-hall plan, a common form built in Galveston during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
1412 Sealy - 1897 August J. Henck Cottage
Real estate broker and developer August J. Henck built this raised L-plan Queen Anne cottage in 1897 on land owned by his family since 1868. Prominent features of the East End Historic District cottage include a projecting chamfered bay crowned by a gabled roof with dove-tail shingles and ornamental cornice brackets and original Victorian art glass windows that depict the moon, stars, and nautilus shells.
Henck’s adopted daughter, Sadie, inherited the cottage upon his death in 1931 and resided there until her own death in 1960.
2605 Broadway - 1906 Romanet-Glenn House
In November 1906, Emilie Romanet built this two-story house next door to her home at 2601 Broadway. When completed, Emilie’s son, Louis, and his newlywed bride, Minnie Rolf, used the house as their residence.
The building is a transitional design common during the late 19th and early 20th century and reflects the Colonial Revival style that became more popular during the early 20th century.
In 1940, Dr. William Glenn Sr., and his wife, Gladys, purchased the house and their family maintained ownership until 2005.
Located in the Old Central Neighborhood, the most prominent features of the house are the full-width porch and round columns.
3727 Avenue P - 1922 Stubbs-Garrigan Bungalow
Contractor Charles Franks built this wood frame bungalow with inset porch in 1922 for cotton clerk Sidney Stubbs and his wife, Thelma Bagnal.
In 1941, Owen and Cora Garrigan purchased the house. Garrigan worked as a bookkeeper before he established Garrigan’s Sporting Goods at 514 Tremont.
Located in the Lasker Park Neighborhood, the Garrigan family maintained ownership of the bungalow until 2007.
1602 Broadway - 1931 Dr. Albert and Willie Dean Singleton House
Houston architect Cameron Fairchild designed this Monterey Revival house for internationally renowned surgeon Dr. Albert Singleton and wife, Willie Dean Bivens. Dr. Singleton received his medical degree from UTMB in 1910 and became chairman of the Department of Surgery in 1927.
The Monterey Revival influence of Fairchild’s design is noted by the buff-colored brick, tile roof and full-width second-story balcony. Located in the East End Historic District, the house is among several designed by Fairchild for Galveston’s elite between 1929 and 1963.
1414 Avenue L - 1866 Thomas and Frances Blythe House (Rehabilitation in Progress - First weekend)
This vernacular wood frame house is a rare 1900 storm survivor in the San Jacinto Neighborhood. The first section dates to 1866 and was probably constructed by Thomas Blythe before he died in 1867.
The later rear ells create an unusual configuration and may be relocated houses attached to the principal three-bay, center-hall plan dwelling. This project is under rehabilitation as part of GHF’s long-established Preservation Revolving Fund.
31 Cedar Lawn Circle - 1927 Dr. William and Frances Fletcher House (Rehabilitation in Progress - Second weekend)
Constructed by Joseph Woodruff and completed in April 1927, this Spanish Colonial Revival residence is in Cedar Lawn, one of Galveston’s most prestigious neighborhood developments of the early 20th century.
A 1926 Daily News article describes the house as “Spanish Mediterranean” and the only one of this type in Galveston that includes a mezzanine balcony in the living room, rooftop Spanish patio, and iron grillwork.
Born in England, Dr. Fletcher served as a captain in the dental corps during WWI and afterwards married Frances Linder a native of Switzerland.
Spotlight on New Construction
First weekend: Magruder Cottage, 1410 26th Street, built 2020
Second weekend: Plum House, 2925 Ursuline, built 2022